Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Red Means Go" is Gone

I finished my first book-matched wedge piece, titled "Red Means Go", a couple of weeks ago and sold it a week later.
Red Means Go
shellac on curly maple, cherry, and walnut
44" x 22" x 3"

© Robert Hitzig


I wanted to take it with me to the Paradise City show in October, and at least look at it a while longer, but you've got to take the sales when you get them so I'm not complaining. My personal opinion is that it is a great piece so I'm not surprised it sold so quickly. There is something about the concept I really love, two sides that are the same but not the same, going in different directions; wedges - thin to thick, thick to thin. It is simple but elegant; subtle but powerful; and best of all, slightly confusing. I'd like to do more of them but finding highly figured maple three or more inches thick isn't easy. Mills like to cut planks thinner because it costs so much more to kiln dry and thinner cuts sell much faster. If/when I get my prices to where I can make a living doing this, I could justify paying top dollar to track slabs down and have them shipped to me but at this point I'm still relying on chance encounters.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you've considered this, but since you have lined the edges with cherry, couldn't you do this same thing without cutting a wedge? Granted, it wouldn't be a true "wedge" and if an industrious viewer tried, they could find the deception by looking at the ends, but 98% of the look would still be there.

    Like I said, I am sure you've thought of this so I am curious why you've opted not to pursue it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I hadn't thought of that but it gives me some ideas to think about. One could create a stack laminate, cut it at an angle and then glue figured maple in the middle, then cut the wedge. The angle of the cut would be different on the board but not necessarily bad and the ends could be painted on the ends to hide the glue up; or one could just glue one stack laminate with figured maple and cut that at an angle. The effect would be very different but probably more interesting. Veneers could also be glued between layers of solid wood so that there was a clear line dividing sections (I have stacks of high quality veneers someone gave me and haven't known what to do with them). Now I just need to go out and buy more clamps. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete