After a several iterations (4?) of painting, rubbing, painting, and rubbing, I think the three pieces below are ready to start "finishing" - which entails evening out the surface and polishing with shellac. In comparison to the earlier versions, you can see that the 2 red/blue pieces are less intense. In addition to taking down the colors I added a little yellow which toned them down a little and created a more "natural" color. Are they better than earlier versions? I think they are better than the previous images but not sure if simpler isn't better, perhaps leaving some rectangles clear might be better. I'll have to experiment more with the other ones and compare.
One of the struggles with these pieces is getting the shellac colors to work with the epoxy, with the piece on the left, all of the epoxy is in the red/blue continuum so I tried to do the same on the surface. The one on the right has a range of colors but no green. I like the pastel-ish colors that came out. I've also included the image below because it shows the figure in the maple. I'm not sure why I couldn't get both back lighting and figure in one image, I tried several times.
The next step is working on the light boxes because I just checked my denatured alcohol inventory and was surprised to find I was down to my last few milliliters. Hopefully my "Industrial Alcohol Users Permit" will come through quickly.
The Deceptive Power of a Drove of Horse Sculptures
9 minutes ago