Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Art Flag Commission

Over the summer I was asked by gbA, a Montpelier architecture firm, to create an object (not necessarily a flag) for the flag pole outside their offices. After some thought, I decided to stick to a "flag" format because I love that with a flag there is an implied meaning but that with a unique abstract design the meaning is completely ambiguous.
gbA Flag
fabric
36" x 70"
2016
I researched whether to have the design printed but I didn't like the materials and I didn't think it would "fly" very well, and when I looked into buying the fabric and having it sewn together I realized it would look much better; thankfully, it was cheaper as well.
gbA Flag (on site)
85 Granite Lane
Montpelier, VT
Given that I lack the both the skills and equipment to construct the piece, this was my first opportunity to pay someone to make my art.
gbA Flag (closeup)
The piece is obviously an outgrowth of my bumper sticker series, hopefully I'll have more opportunities to create a series of flags as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment