Monday, February 16, 2015

Queensbury, NY Billboard For Sale On eBay

I am excited to announce that I listed my billboard, Queensbury, NY, for sale on eBay. If you are interested in seeing the auction, you can follow it here. Bidding ends February 25, 2015 at 3:00 pm EST.

I first wrote about this project here, but, for a summary, I was inspired to create and pay for the installation to provide a counter-weight to the deluge of demanding messages we all receive everyday. It is my hope that by saying nothing, the billboard would provide mental space for the viewer, allowing time to just "be" without being told what to believe, feel, do.
Queensbury, NY
print on plastic fabric
10'5" x 22'8"
2015
photo credit: Emma Dodge Hanson
I was really lucky to find a great photographer who lives in the Queensbury area, Emma Dodge Hanson, to document the project for me. It is such a blessing to work with a professional who understood my goals and could compliment my artistic vision.
 Queensbury, NY
photo credit: Emma Dodge Hanson
I am also very pleased to have received some good press coverage of the piece -- Pamela Polston of Seven Days wrote an excellent article Vermont Artist Robert Hitzig Makes A Billboard Statement and I was interviewed by Lucas Willard of Northeast Public Radio out of Albany, NY for the story: Vermont Artist Reflects On Wordless Billboard Project.
 Queensbury, NY
photo credit: Emma Dodge Hanson
When I started this project, I thought the billboard would be destroyed at the end of the installation, but to my surprise, I learned after it went up that it is printed on a thin plastic fabric that can be easily shipped and stored. In fact, the billboard weights less than 5 lbs and was shipped to me is a medium sized box. However, because the billboard was cut at places along the edge in order to remove it, and it is not in mint condition, having been displayed outdoors for a month, I photographed it in the Montpelier High School cafeteria so that perspective buyers would be able to see its current condition.
 Queensbury, NY
Montpelier High School cafeteria February 2015
In offering it for sale, I hope to raise enough money to create another and, ultimately, maintain an ongoing self-sustaining series. I'd love to do more of these, it would be fun, and I think it would do some good too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment